I love bananas. I eat them almost every day, and I always find a way to use them in many of my recipes, either smoothies, cookies, cakes, or desserts.
Today, I want to share with you my favorite recipe with bananas: a very healthy, but tasty and moist chocolate banana cake.
(Shh! This is a secret recipe, so keep it to yourself!)
Why do I love this recipe?
This banana chocolate chip cake is super easy to make, very healthy for a cake, and extremely yummy!
Other reasons to love it:
- It’s not overly sweet.
- The bananas and Greek yogurt make the cake super moist and give it a nice chewy and dense texture.
- The dark chocolate chips offer amazing chocolatey bursts with every bite.
Baking with whole wheat flour
Because whole meal flour has a coarser texture than refined white flour, the cake can come out a little bit drier too. Fortunately, there’s an easy solution to this!
Just let the batter rest and hydrate for 10-20 minutes before baking! (Resting the batter will soften the whole grain, making your cake more tender and moist.) You won’t believe the difference once you try it!
What makes this chocolate banana cake healthy?
- It uses whole and natural ingredients like whole meal flour and bananas unlike traditional banana cake recipes that call for refined white flour and lots of sugar.
- The cake isn’t overly sweet as the recipe doesn’t use any processed sugar at all. It is naturally sweetened with ripe bananas and honey (optional).
- It uses healthy plant fats instead of butter. You can use olive oil, coconut oil, or vegetable oil.
- It’s not high in calories at only around 200 kcal per piece.
- It’s a balanced recipe in terms of macros – carbs, fats, and protein are all within the recommended US dietary guidelines.
Banana & Chocolate Cake Recipe
Healthy Banana and Chocolate Cake
- Small bowl
- Large bowl
- Baking tray
- 3 large bananas (the riper the better!)
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (70% cocoa minium)
- 1 1/2 tsp olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 175°C (350°F)
- Mash the bananas in a bowl
- Mix flour, baking soda, and vanilla extract in a separate bowl
- Add mashed bananas to the flour mix and stir until completely combined
- Add the Greek yogurt and olive oil
- Pour in chocolate chips
- Mix in eggs one by one and stir again
- Pour into a baking tray and cover with baking paper
- Bake for about 35 minutes at 175°C
- Serve and enjoy
Nutritional values may differ. Information provided by the Recipe Nutrition Calculator by VeryWellfit.com.